Passionate, Caring, and Dedicated Coaches Are the Most Essential Component to Our Program
Have you ever ridden a bike before?
Would you like to help Arizona youth learn to better their minds and bodies through cycling?
If so, AZ NICA wants YOU! No prior youth coaching or mountain bike racing experience is necessary! Just a desire to be a role model for youth and help them be active and outdoors.
AZ NICA is actively seeking volunteer coaches to help our teams get #morekidsonbikes all across Arizona. Our adult volunteers form the backbone of our organization and we cannot overstate the value of the opportunities they will provide for Arizona youth regarding personal and physical development. As a coach with the AZ League, you will get training and resources to equip you to change lives through cycling. There is no minimum time investment and this can fit into anyone’s schedule, however, we do ask that you commit to your role. Becoming a coach is easy and we have a road map to show you the path to get there. Additionally, we offer training opportunities with our league and neighboring leagues, plus tons of resources from our national partners, Positive Coaching Alliance and True Sports Coaching.
An AZ NICA coach puts the safety and overall well-being of their student-athletes as the first priority. NICA Licensed Coaches are role models who are open to learning the best practices of youth mountain bike coaching and actively working to hone their leadership skills.
- No experience is necessary to become an Arizona League coach.
- We provide the training and resources needed to ensure you are comfortable and confident as a coach.
- Have fun!
- Keep student-athletes positively engaged in mountain bike-related activities throughout season
- Be an authority figure and role model to all coaches, staff, student-athletes, families, and the community
- Be an example as a responsible mountain biker at practices and on the trail
- Contribute to a fun, inclusive atmosphere
- Have a great time with good people who love mountain biking
- Manage risk in all mountain bike activities to ensure a safe and fun experience for your student-athletes
- Inform student-athletes of activities and schedule
- Help student-athletes with simple mechanical repairs
- Maintain order and a culture of mutual respect among all student-athletes
- Help minimize physical injury by promoting “Ride with Respect” atmosphere riding rules
- Lead group rides, skills clinics and other activities
- Help chaperone student-athletes at team activities
- Help set up activities and events and assist with team scheduling
- All coaches are required to obtain a NICA Certification License at one of three levels:
- Level 1 Certification: Assists all coaches as directed by the Head Coach.
- Level 2 Certification: Assists level 3 coaches with advanced tasks such as teaching skills and leading rides.
- Level 3 Certification: Takes a leadership role within the team. Equivalent competencies as Head Coach.
- Should be a Level 3 Coach with appropriate First Aid training
- Develops team practice plans
- Coordinates with other coaches to insure team practices and rides are adequately staffed and planned
- Has direct connection with student-athletes and their families
- Responsible for team registration, finances, and paying team fees
- Works with head coach to plan the season and team activities